Will the NFL have a deal done by March 3rd, 2011? I seriously doubt it.
Will we have a lockout? We most certainly will.
Why? Here are the reasons:
- The Players Association will not budge on the one billion that the owners are asking for, and you can’t blame them. You don’t give back what you already have.
- No player wants an 18 season game schedule, but the owners do. I don’t see anything wrong with an 18 game season provided the players interests and welfare are protected.
- There has to be a Rookie Salary Cap. I don’t care who does not like or want it, it has to be done. Walking off a college football field and demanding millions of dollars for unproven professional talent is simply ludacris.
- Revamp the off season conditioning policy to allow the players flexible schedules for staying in shape, and just perhaps, you won’t need more than 2 pre-season games to get in shape.
- Last, but not least, think about the safety aspect of a longer season. No matter what your opinion on the 18 game season is, believe me, it is going to happen regardless of your thoughts about it.
I MAKE THE CALL.